Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I <3 Heather Edlestein

1/10/08

There are several ways to get into my blog.

You could be a professional athlete on a losing team I regretfully root for or a low rate actor in a movie I overpaid to waste 90 minutes of life seeing.

Or you could ask me over dinner.

This one's for you Heather, who not only lives up the block from me but we share an common interest in Jack Bauer, Evan Karol and this blog.

Heather, I dedicate this post to you my dear- thanks for the support!

Well folks, my winter vacation is winding down, as Sunday is fast approaching meaning that come Monday morning it's back to class and back to reality.

However until then, there is still plenty to talk about, starting with the fact that for the second time in my 4 week break I am getting sick.

I have been trying to figure out and pin-point exactly why I have been getting sick, and two things have been consistent factors.

The first is that my body simply does not have the slightest clue as to how adjust to significant changes in temperature, and so when we were teased with a few days of spring in January my body was more confused than a pre-teen child with 2 dads.

The second is that every year, without fail, my body's immune system must be Christian, because every year during the week Christmas falls I get a bad cold, virus or flu. The sore throats, the stuffed nose and the inability to get any sleep were responsible for ruining a number of my week long vacations in middle school and high school.

And so here I am, sick again, for the second time this break, which has meant I've been waking up in the middle of the night on no less then 3 occasions, which is unfortunate because come Monday morning I'll be waking up at 8 in the morning for next 4 months.

One of the advantages of being sick (and there aren't many) is having a legitimate excuse to watch an endless amount of television, or in my case, the remaining episodes of Scrubs on DVD I had yet to get to. And sure enough, after owning them for 11 days, I have successfully watched all 6 seasons I purchased, along with the first 6 episodes of the seventh and current season, which also happens to be the series' last.

There has been talk that because of the writers strike Scrubs may only be air 6 of the final 12 episodes the producers had intended to air, which would cause a lot of problems for die hard fans (of which I now proclaim to be), so we'll have to keep an eye on that.

Another Writers Strike victim, Gossip Girl, aired its final episode of the season last night, and I can't help but feel disappointed.

There were some big time story lines the show had been running with, most notably the Blair-Nate-Chuck love triangle, the potential pregnancy and Dan and Serena's relationship winning out over the relationship of their single father and mother respectively.

Last night feel short of expectations in my opinion, mainly because nobody was pregnant, Nate and Chuck yelled at each other like- well- teen aged girls- and Rufus (Dan's father) got back out into the dating world.

And the worst part of all is that the only real cliff hanger the show could have left us with was crushed in the final scene, where Blair- who had been considering escaping to France- was convinced by BFF Serena to stick around and fight her for tarnished reputation.

Boring!

The vacation is just days away from ending, which means a recap is in order, and a look back at all that was winter-break 07-08 will be soon forthcoming.

I've also been giving a lot of thought as to how I can spice up the blog, and while adding some useless gadgets and pictures is a half-hearted start, I plan on trying to figure out a way to adding some music, more pictures, more links and some more insight into how Adam Fier views life. I also want to try and dedicate more time to sports (as demanded by Scott Spinelli), and with the NFL playoffs here, college basketball conference play now starting and believe it or not pitchers and catchers reporting to spring training right around the corner, there should be no shortage in that department.

In addition, I have reached an agreement (the professional jargon amuses me) with Scott Spinelli to post his weekly articles which appear in the Syracuse student publication 'The Daily Orange' on my blog. For those of you who do not know Scott, he is a senior communication major and aspiring stand up comic who has performed at the Laugh Factory in Times Square. Just something else to look forward to.

Finally...

After watching like 130 episodes of Scrubs and seeing how nicely J.D. is able to narrate his life and incorporate his experiences into some really meaningful lessons, I figured I would try and explain my life as well as the world as seen through my eyes as this semester I really take my first big steps into the real world as I do my first actual student teaching, given that its part time (I'll be blogging plenty about it) and I feel like it could be fun to not only chronicle all of things that happen during the 7 weeks I'm a part-time teacher, but to talk about the experiences and how they are impacting my perspective on life.

We'll save that for when I get back up to school and realize how much free time I'll have with a schedule including classes Monday and Friday from 8:30-10:30 (AND THATS IT), class Tuesday and Thursday from 12:30-5:00 (that actually sucks big time ball sack) and Wednesday class from 8:30-10:30, and then also more class from 4:30-7:15 (gonna kill myself).

In closing, props to Heather for showing support and demanding a post be written about her (I did my best with an opening) and to everyone else for the compliments. If you have any suggestions or comments- positive or negative- please let me know and if you want to be really crazy and contribute it could be fun posting 'guest posts'. Apparently I am doing something right, because I've had literally dozens of people tell me they have checked out my blog, and a few people have even told me they want to create blogs of their own.

And so after scavenging the internet for some good Scrubs quotes (the show produces some dynamite quotes) I'll finish with this one, as I get ready to take a giant step forward...

"I usually don't like thinking about the future. I mean, let's face it, you can't predict what's gonna happen. But sometimes, the thing you don't expect is what you really wanted after all. Maybe the best thing to do is stop trying to figure out where you're going and enjoy where you're at.”

No comments: