Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Hey Newhouse: How you like me now?

10/24/2007

Dear S.I. Newhouse School of Communications,

Alright so you get the last laugh, considering you're the most prestigious communications school in the country, and I was ranked 303 out of 891 in my high school graduating class. But you told me I wasn't good enough to be a member of your club, and deferred me to the (not 1/1000 as prestigious) School of Education where I am now suffering through field placements and lesson plans.

Regardless, my voice can finally be seen in print! (sort of...not really)

Even if its on a lousy, free...no grade school education required blogging website with millions of lifeless people like myself wasting their time.


But I would like to formally welcome anybody desperate enough to waste their time reading about how I waste mine.

Remember, nobody (myself) is forcing you to be here, so try to keep your complaints to yourself. If you want to make fun of me and insult me for having a blog...well go ahead because I probably would be doing the same thing.

Anyway, I was reading ESPN.com, like i do everyday in my classes (the only reason I even go to class is because i can bring my laptop with me) and I was reading an article written by Bill Simmons. He is a bigtime Boston sports fan, and this particular article Simmons was talking about the Red Sox winning game six of the ALCS. In the article, he talks about the kind of sports fan he is, and never have been able to put into such perfect words the way I watch sports, except minus the fact he gets paid to do so. Anyway, here's what he had to say..

"I write about sports for a living. When I'm watching a game, I have trained myself to look for every possible angle and every conceivable scenario. I am thinking about potential jokes, observations, column angles and everything else. I am prepared for everything. I am a trained professional at watching sports and eventually translating my feelings into words." (Simmons, Oct. 2007)

If you know me, and you know how I get with sports...thats me in a nutshell.

And now I too can translate my feelings into words.

No comments: