Saturday, October 27, 2007

Who Says You Cant Buy Happiness? Certainly Not Me!

10/27/07

Let me preface this post by first saying I just got home from the first night of Syracuse University celebrating Halloween. To answer your questions, yes I went out, yes I bought a costume, and yes I had the balls to wear it out (pictures will be up on facebook following the end of the Hallows Eve)

Anyway, being as though I didn't drink enough (surprise, surprise) to impact me writing something, not to mention the fact I have nothing better to do with my time at 2:08 in the morning (unless you want to lend me 30 bucks for a monthly subscription to a dirty website...seriously) and theres something that has been bothering me ever since I was little. The phrase "you can't buy happiness" is just an absolute crock of shit. And I am living proof.

If you have had the pleasure of being in either my room at home or my room at school, then several things jump out at you. First of all, I'm sure you're thinking "damn, that is a neat fucking room for a 20 year old boy". What can I say. I'm into keeping a neat room. Next undoubtedly is the abundance of expensive shit.

Without coming off as a complete spoiled brat, I admit to owning my very own 26 inch Sony HDTV, a Playstation 3, an XBOX 360, a Nintendo Wii, not one but two laptops, the new iPod touch (16 gigs...obviously), and the shelves of sports memorabilia, highlighted by a signed 8x10 picture of Michael Jordan, and signed baseballs by Mike Piazza and David Wright, plus baseball cards signed by Pedro Martinez, Whitey Ford, Jose Reyes, Derek Jeter and Cal Ripken Jr.

Then you open my closet, and you probably think I'm racially challenged based on A) the number of authentic or semi-authentic jerseys I own and B) the amount of sneakers I have purchased over the years to match them. 4 authentic Mets jerseys, 5 Knicks jerseys (3 authentic), 3 Mitchell and Ness jerseys (Ripken, Strawberry and Mantle), 3 Jordan Jerseys (1 authentic), 3 Syracuse jerseys, and the list goes on and on.

I hate to say it, but whenever I'm feeling somewhat down, I simply take a ride to the mall, and buy something. Now I'm sure you're wondering if I'm spending my money, or my parents money. Well lets be honesty. How many of us really have our "own money". Sure we have jobs over the summer and this and that, but when it comes down to it, our parents help us out far more often then they should. And if yours don't, then i truly feel bad for you, because you're missing out. But to answer the question, I would probably say of all the things I own, most of it was obtained through gifts and/or money that I used which my mother, not I, earned. But my mother always told me that she works the ridiculous hours she works so i can be happy. Now I'm not sure if she meant happy because shes never around, meaning I don't ever have to deal with her nagging me...or the fact that her salary pays for a lot of my nice shit. Either way, shes right, and I win.

And so to anybody who wants to tell me that material items aren't whats important in life and that having a family who loves you or a significant other who loves you...well I really cant disagree. But being as though I have a massively dysfunctional family and only an ex-significant other who no longer loves me, I'll just have to settle for the pieces of technology which are going to run up quite an electrical bill when I'm not living on campus next year.

Oh and even though he probably wont see this and most of the people who do don't know him...I want to give a shout out to Ross Kohan, who is as we speak in London and spending this semester in Spain. I miss him a lot, and cant wait until he comes home so we can touch each other inappropriately. Rossy and I are also living together next year in a house far nicer than any I will ever live in during my adult life, and I encourage anybody who ever wants to visit next year to spend a weekend with us.

Alright everyone, if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go lay in bed and contemplate whether or not I'm truly happy. And while I'm doing, I'll just have to remind myself I am by flipping on the TV, watching the beautiful quality of HDTV, and maybe pass the time with a game of Madden.

Be happy.

I know I am.

No comments: